Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Good advice for the men out there

When engaging a woman who is a stranger (as opposed to a strange woman, ha ha) in conversation, regardless of the capacity, I beg of you, make her day.  When every fiber of your being wants to call her "ma'am" go for "miss" instead.  Just trust me on this one.  Unless you are a soldier and have a female superior officer--or for children raised in the south who must address adult females in this manner under penalty of death--use "miss" over "ma'am" EVERY time.

I was on campus, leaving my evening course, watching one of our muscular staties (yep, we have STATE cops as our security, bazinga!) lock the door I needed, so I asked if I could still get out this way.  This led to a pleasant 20 second conversation, where I really have no idea what was said.  Did I mention muscular? And cop? Oh, and, like 25?  I'm 44.  The hormones are popping over my head like a 15 year old boy.  Don't judge me.  A little fantasy is healthy, and I always bring it home, if you know what I mean.

Then it happened. 

The boy ma'amed me.  He MA'AMED me. 

That is just like a cold shower of truth and injustice on my interlude of sweetness and light.

So men, whether you know it or not, you too may be the object of a little healthy brain work.  Do NOT ruin the moment by bringing out the polite, yet soul-crushing MA'AM if you know what's good for you.  That's my PSA of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment