Friday, April 19, 2013

There's just something wrong with tweens and teens

In case you didn't hear, the Chicagoland area (I have a friend who HATES that phrase, says it makes Chicago sound like an amusement park, to which I reply IT IS!) nearly floated away in the wake of torrential storms.  Parts of four major expressways, along with countless streets were closed.  Our school remained open, where some others did not, but busses were cancelled.  This didn't affect us, as we live three blocks from the kids' schools.

Because I'm not a heartless beast, I actually drove my children to school yesterday.  My newly turned 12 Cubby has lately been refusing to dress appropriately for the weather because, um, well, he's 12.  I specifically told him to put on a water resistant jacket, NOT the gray hoodie he's been wearing around for weeks.  Just as we pull up to the school, I realize he's wearing the hoodie.  I launch into a stunning commentary (really, it was) on how tweens lose their dang minds before they get to 6th grade. 

As I pull up to the school, along with countless others, I see one, two, three, four cars spit out various 6th, 7th, and 8th graders.  Not a rain jacket or umbrella among them.  All in hoodies. 

They're all just brain damaged.  It's the only answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment